Search engine optimised copywriting for the web
Good copywriting for the web is about balancing good content for both human readers and search engine spiders. Different search engines apply different algorithms and therefore different criteria as to how they rank website pages.
All the search engines rely on the use of keywords; therefore good copywriting for the web is primarily based on keyword selection, research and placement.
Webpraxis can work with you to choose keywords and a selection of keyword phrases that can form the basis of the pages for your website.
When you begin writing bear in mind the following –
- A maximum of three keywords per page – try and write as naturally as possible whilst sprinkling keywords and keyword phrases throughout your text.
- Do not over use keywords – or this will result in penalties with search engines and could result in the site being banned altogether. Google allows a keyword density of 3% throughout a website; Yahoo and MSN allow 5%. A good guide is for every 100 words aim to include your keywords three times.
- Use headings and subheadings – search engines give more weighting to headings, so make sure that your headings and subheadings include your keywords where possible.
- Break the text up into short paragraphs – try to include your three main keywords in the first paragraph.
- Make use of lists – hierarchical or non hierarchical, ordered and unordered. Include keywords if possible in these lists.
- Write at least 200 words per page – search engines like to see content. If your web page includes content of less than 200 words, then you will be limiting the success you are likely to have with the search engines.
- Make use of bold text – Some search engines can place more importance on keywords in bold.
As with all good copywriting, you should write with your audience in mind. However it is important to be aware of key phrases you want to target and rank well for in the SERP (Search Engine Results Pages.)
It is also important to bear in mind that over use of these techniques i.e. keyword stuffing can get you banned with search engines so try to make your copy as naturally sounding as possible.